Saturday, October 15, 2011

Girls nights always do the trick

I'm alive. And busy from morning to night, which is why I haven't said hello. Forgive me, please, and accept my belated "hello!"

It has been a hectic week indeed, but last night I recharged my batteries with a good 'ol girls night--much needed and long overdue. Four of us ladyfriends got together over tasty food and tastier pitchers of wine (can you say favorite restaurant in town?). We set one rule for the night: no talking about work unless it's something fabulous. And because I have fabulous ladyfriends, there was plenty of fabulousness to chat about. As we were swapping most embarrassing poop stories (surprise: our conversation didn't revolve around boys or babies!), I looked around at these highly intelligent and accomplished, beautiful, and just plain awesome women and realized how grateful I am to have each of them in my life. Just over a year ago I didn't know any of them. And now here we were talking about dream careers and pubic hair preferences and raising our glasses to remaining in each other's lives for years and years to come.

I thought back to the early days of August, when I first returned to Midwestern City and everything around me appeared so bleak, so unexciting. "I don't want to be here," I would repeat to myself, and entertain the thought of picking up and moving to San Francisco or Mexico or just about anywhere. Now, just two months later, I'm finding myself thoroughly happy in just about all areas of my life. Things are on track. I'm excited about the future, but also what I'm doing right now. And in moments when the excitement fades, I've got wonderful ladyfriends--both near and far--to jolt me back on track.




No comments:

Post a Comment