Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Someone you can poo around

I'm the type of person that goes to a restaurant and even if there's something I looooove on the menu I go for something I haven't tried before. Even if it turns out to be a flop, I leave feeling satisfied because I tried something new and learned a bit more about myself and the world around me.

I'm trying to apply this attitude to my newfound singledom--to regard it as an exciting opportunity to learn more about myself, rather than something that is frighteningly unpredictable and way out of my comfort zone.

But I find myself craving the familiar item on the menu. Suddenly, going for the same thing doesn't seem like the boring choice; no, its familiarity is comforting and appealing.

Okay, I'll stop with the food analogy (somebody has her appetite back!).

I've been missing him, of course, but for some odd reason this comment from a recent (post-breakup) Skype chat made me reallllllly miss him. 
[10:36:35 PM] i have to poo but i don't like pooin when my roommates are around
[10:36:35 PM] i'd poo if YOU were around though (nod)
This lil' comment had me smiling for the rest of the night. I'm not sure if what I felt was a sense of longing or appreciation. Longing for that comfort and familiarity, or appreciation for having shared that kind of intimacy with someone.

There were certainly times during our relationship when I wished we were a little less comfortable with one another. I wanted to keep a certain level of spiciness in our relationship, and hearing about his latest bowel movement ("It was THIS big!") wasn't helping. At first, I giggled when he'd fart under the covers, then look at me with a "shit, sorry!" look on his face and proceed to wave the stench in the opposite direction. And I took it as a sign of love when he'd come in and pee, not minding that I was brushing my teeth less than a foot away--teasing me, in fact, to join in on the fun: "Wanna hold it?" (And no, I never did...until the day after we broke up. Well, even then I didn't. I went to do it and he laughed and flinched, finally satisfied that I was willing to entertain the idea.) Even after we established some boundaries, I'd enjoy when we'd break them.

It sure is nice to have had someone you can poo around.*






*So that there is no misunderstanding, I am referring to pooing when the person is at home, perhaps in the next room...and maybe even talking to you. I am not referring to pooing in front of one another. That's just gross.


No comments:

Post a Comment