Tuesday, August 23, 2011

So many douchebags

I've been depressed. No, not in the need-counselling-and-medication way. It's more like the this-word-is-totally-unwarranted-to-describe-my-situation sort. I'm just not looking forward to the future...my romantic future, that is. Yes, this has more than a little to do with the videos in my last post (those have got to be fake, right? Right?!?!). It also has something to do with these horrible dating stories (they're entertaining to read, but not so entertaining when you're playing the lead role). And it definitely has a lot to do with recently-surfaced memories of guys I knew in college, as well as some trash t.v. with guys that would fit in well with the cast of Jersey Shore.

Simply put, there are a whole lotta douchebags out there.

During our relationship, I think I took for granted how easy it is to find someone (despite protests to the contrary by many of my single friends). After all, I scored a sweet, intelligent, good looking, funny, considerate, generous, moral, emotionally-available guy pretty much on my first shot. Things were pretty easy in our relationship. Don't get me wrong--relationships take work, but in our case it didn't take thatttt much work.

I'm starting to realize that it might not be that easy to find someone who is sweet, intelligent, good looking, funny, considerate, generous, moral, emotionally-available (and single, and lives in your zip code). Hence, the onset of depression that isn't really depression.

One of the reasons we decided to split was to "experience other people" (i.e. rub our private parts against people who are young and hot, while we're still young and hot). [This certainly was not the only reason we split nor the primary one, but it was a consideration.] Because after five years together--five years during which you are in the prime of your life, I might add--no matter how much you love the person, you start to wonder what it'd be like to be with other people. These thoughts become more intense when you start talking about getting engaged in a couple of years and committing to spend the rest of your lives together. And these thoughts don't go away even though you can picture your partner playing with the kids that you brought into this world together. Beer commercials and Sex and the City don't help the situation either.

Then, when you're free to rub your private parts against hot, young people (permitted that they are okay with that, of course), you realize that many of them are douchebags.


No comments:

Post a Comment