Saturday, September 3, 2011

The one month mark

I finally got around to doing some Big Girl Things that I've been neglecting for weeks. I spun three loads of laundry (about a day after the one week mark after realizing that I can't possibly use my bath towel for one day longer. (My solution was just to take fewer showers...)). I washed dishes that had obstinately occupied my kitchen sink for days, causing me to have to fill up my Brita from the much-too-small bathroom sink. I took out the overflowing box of recyclables and did a lil bit o tidying around the house, all the while expecting someone to knock on my door and present me with a medal for my valiant getting-back-into-the-swing-of-things efforts.

During the tidying process/Bon Iver sing-a-long, I stumbled upon something that had been stashed behind my new computer monitor, amidst my new Apple user guide, a Spanish textbook that I had abandoned, some empty batteries waiting to be recycled, and other miscellaneous things. It was my boarding pass for the second leg of my Montreal-to-Midwestern City flight, dated exactly one month ago today.

One month ago today. The last morning we woke up in the same bed. The last day we strolled hand in hand. The last time we kissed. The last time I had seen Him.

And, y'know what? I'm doin okay. Better than okay, actually. Whereas a month ago I lay melodramatically on my couch listening to Adele on repeat, avoiding as much as possible all human interaction, wondering why the hell we broke up in the first place (I actually forgot), resigned to spend the next year miserable, today, one month later, I'm brushing my hair on a fairly regular basis, putting on mascara every so often, keeping my body odor in check (mostly), attending to adult responsibilities, and even feeling hopeful. Tonight, for the first time all month, I'm actually looking forward to going out with friends, and I kinda even hope we end the night on a grimy, sweaty dance floor shaking our asses to horrible Top 40. And before the night ends, I plan to raise a drink to Me, for brushing my hair, putting on mascara, and making it through my first month as a single lady. Cheers.





4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! It is easy to convince yourself you will get back into the swing of life tomorrow (which someone once told me never comes). "Tomorrow" just so happens to be my favourite word. Tomorrow I will get back to writing that book, Tomorrow I will give up my sugary pop that I love so in favour of water, Tomorrow I will get back to the gym which I have neglected for months.

    Yes...it is easy to justify the one extra day of self indulgence, especially when we are suffering from a broken heart, a bruised ego, etc...

    Three cheers to you!! And shake your booty on the dance floor...it will help you get back into your pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And oh did I shake it last night! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A month?! Girl, you are doing fantastic!!

    A month out of my last relationship I was still trying to figure out ways to convince the douchbag to go back out with me.

    Thank baby Jesus I got over THAT.

    Shake yo' ass like you mean it, cuz you do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I am indeed doing s(o)well, I think. My therapist kinda couldn't believe it today: "Are you really?" Me: "Umm, yeah."

    P.s. Glad to hear you're not with a douchebag ;)

    ReplyDelete